Download Resume Here...
STEVEN H. BRENIA Cell: (630) 740-7292
13227 Mink Lane Home Office: (317) 732-4184
Westfield, IN 46074 email: email@example.com
On Line CV… http://www.stevebrenia.com/ LinkedIn… http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevebrenia
MARKETER, LEADER, INNOVATOR, STRATEGIST; BUILDER OF BRANDS, REVENUE & PROFITS
Strong experience in marketing, general management, consumer insights, P&L responsibility, turnarounds, and divestitures/acquisitions, with major companies (Nabisco, Borden, Alberto Culver, Rexall Sundown, Steak n Shake and others); and also smaller companies. Strong leadership, team management, analytic/creative skills always based in sound data led strategy. Board-level experience; KKR, Borden Capital Mgt Partners and Turtle Wax.
KEY CAREER ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Successfully led, grew and managed brands that collectively represent over $2.1 billion in annual sales.
• Legacy of innovative new products that have collectively generated over $1 billion in sales since launch.
• Created "Value” (i.e. improved consumption, market share, revenue, spending efficiency and profits), across multiple companies and
• Led the turnaround of four businesses from negative to positive profit; successfully divested five businesses.
• Co-founder of a start-up company; small business management and consulting experience.
• Have successfully led people, functions, cross functional teams, organizations and changed company culture.
MARKETING AND INNOVATION ASSOCIATES. Indianapolis, IN
Principal/Founder 2010 - Present
Consulting Services for a variety of clients primarily in the areas of marketing and innovation.
AMERICAN MANAGEMENT SERVICES. Orlando, FL (HQ) Indianapolis, IN (Field Base Location)
Senior Executive Analyst 2009 – 2010
Provide a comprehensive analysis and assessment for small business owners ($5MM - $150MM Revenue)
• Identified both cash and profit opportunities (always north of $500,000) through improvement of planning, organization, operations, and
reporting systems/metrics/approaches. Short tenure due to leaving on own accord, position compensation was 100% commission, small
businesses extremely cash tight due to recession.
FLOOR COVERINGS INTERNATIONAL. Indianapolis, IN 2007 – 2009
President/Owner 2007 –2009
Franchise principal engaged in the marketing and sales of floor products for residential and commercial markets.
• Achieved individual year one sales over $250,000.
• Led corporate in the marketing of a software tool enabling consumers to preview photo realistic floor options in their personal home
environment, including sales collateral, print, direct mail and TV advertising.
STEAK 'N SHAKE INC., Indianapolis, IN 2004 – 2007
Senior Business Director Innovation, Steak n Shake Protein Products
Full time consultant 04 - 06; Led the growth of the $330 Million Protein Food Segment (half the SnS business portfolio) as well as the Shake segment. Brought to Steak n Shake by former CEO of Borden Foods.
• Developed new concepts and led creation and execution for new milk shake and protein initiatives. These initiatives generated $118 Million
in Steak n Shake sales since 2004 (over 20% of Total revenue).
• In 2007 vs. 2005, generated $11 Million “incremental sales” in just the Protein Food Segment.
• Created new products vision and pipeline of concepts promising $40 Million in future incremental sales.
TURTLE WAX INC., Chicago, IL 2003 – 2004
Vice President of Marketing, Turtle Wax
Led growth of a $120MM portfolio of key brands (Turtle Wax, Zymol, CD–2 and Marvel). Also led Marketing Research, Consumer Insights and the In House Creative Services Group.
• Oversaw the new product launch of Platinum Series Wax and achieved a 9.6% Market share in four months.
• Successfully sold a new line review to Wal-Mart including a price increase (the first in 9 years since 1995).
• Revised marketing strategy/image with new consumer branding architecture and packaging graphics.
• Saved the company $7.0MM in inventory investment through improving the forecasting process and inventory supply coverage reduction.
REXALL SUNDOWN INC., Boca Raton, FL 2003
Senior Vice President of Marketing, Rexall Sundown
Led the growth and strategy for a $460MM portfolio of key brands (Rexall and Sundown Vitamins, Osteo BI-FLEX, CarbSolutions, Metabo LITE, Met Rx and Worldwide Sports Nutrition products). Also direct line leadership for NPD Department, MRD/Consumer Insights, New Ventures and Creative Services. “Short tenure due to acquisition of Rexall by NBTY and subsequent release of senior management team”.
• Created and wrote plan for the company’s key brands and SBU’s in the portfolio, including, long term strategic role and goals for each. This
plan was ratified by the CEO, and senior team.
• Refined a TV Commercial leading to a 40% consumption increase for Osteo BI-FLEX upon airing.
ALBERTO CULVER COMPANY INC., Melrose Park, IL (Chicago) 2000 – 2002
Senior Marketing Director, Culver Specialty Brands
Led the growth and strategy for a portfolio of key brands across the U.S. and Canada; Mrs. Dash, Static Guard, Molly McButter, Bakers Joy, Sugar Twin, and Kleen Guard. Also led market research function. Culver Specialty Brands represented $60 million in revenue and a third of total Alberto Culver North America Profitability.
• Redefined Mrs Dash Consumer positioning and launched a new line of “Mrs. Dash Grilling Blends” products achieving double digit
consumption growth and adding $6 million in revenue.
• Over-delivered FY 2001 Profit Target by $2MM.
• Developed strategic visions and new product pipelines for Mrs Dash, Static Guard and Molly McButter.
BORDEN, INC., Columbus, OH 1993 - 2000
VP/Business Director, New Pasta Products, Foodservice and Channels Businesses 1999 - 2000
Led the development and launch of new retail pasta products and strategy and growth of the foodservice and channels businesses representing $75MM in sales, $10MM EBITDA.
• Created new value added pasta products for the retail marketplace.
• Redefined the foodservice sales “go to market” strategy; augmented and refocused the sales organization.
• Accelerated launch of revolutionary “shelf stable no cook pasta” designed expressly for restaurant operators.
VP/Business Director, U.S. Pasta Retail & Foodservice 1997 - 1999
Led the turnaround of Borden’s regional pasta brands (Prince, Creamette, R&F, Anthony’s, Ronco, Penn Dutch & others) over $200MM in retail and foodservice sales. Led as General Manager of cross-functional teams.
• Created, and received approval for strategic plan from KKR Investment Banking and BCMP boards.
• Reduced regional brands from a portfolio of 11 to 7 while resizing footprint from five to four plants.
• Improved EBIT by $14MM in the two years ending 1999.
• Reduced double-digit consumption declines and stabilized market share after three years of decline.
• Developed differentiated new pasta products with higher pricing, margins, and returns.
Business Director, Dairy Brands and Holiday Brands 1994 - 1997
Led the strategy, management, profitability, and divestiture of the Flagship, Eagle Brand SCM, Cremora, and Holiday Brands; over $140MM in sales and $30MM EBIT. Led as General Manager of cross-functional teams.
• Developed a strategic vision and plan for Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk a 140-year old brand.
• Grew Eagle Brand sales by 8% and tripled EBIT in 1996 vs. 1995.
• Acted as “change agent” from a highly functional to cross-functional team environment.
• Turned around Cremora coffee creamers, private label, and industrial increased EBIT 10X.
• Successfully divested Dairy Brands and Holiday Brands with Credit Suisse First Boston/KKR.
Director of Marketing, Great Lakes Snack Brands 1993 - 1994
Led the turnaround, and divestiture of Borden Great Lakes Snack Brands (Jay’s, Seyfert’s and Guy’s Snack Companies, etc.) representing over $200MM in sales.
• Engaged in a complete business restructuring to restore profitability resulting in a profit improvement of 55%.
• Increased consumption by over 20% and market share in all major snack categories.
• Successfully divested these snack companies with Credit Suisse First Boston/KKR.
FMB COMMUNICATIONS, INC., Greensboro, NC
VP of Marketing and Sales (Entrepreneurial Start-Up)
Led creation and development of an entirely new outdoor, retail advertising system, "ReaderVision".
• Established a domestic and international sales network and engaged major companies (Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc.) to test the ReaderVision
System. Co-author of U.S. Patent 5412891.
• Instrumental in generating over $850M in capital from both private investors and the State of North Carolina.
RJR NABISCO, INC., PLANTERS LIFESAVERS, Winston-Salem, NC
Director of Marketing, Planters Brands, PLS New Business Development
Led the strategy, management, and profitability of Planters Nuts/Snacks; over $600 million in sales and $80 Million in profit. Also, new business development/licensing for the Planters Lifesavers Company.
• Led to a major strategic repositioning of Planters Nuts to halt a 7% category decline.
• Successfully managed the relocation and re-staffing of the Planters Marketing Department.
• Established venture capital network for identification of embryonic business for potential investment/acquisition.
NABISCO BRANDS, INC./STANDARD BRANDS INC, PLANTERS/LIFESAVERS, East Hanover, NJ
Various positions from Field Sales Training to Group Product Manager
MBA Marketing Concentration, Intern Program, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
BA Psychology, Minor: Fine Arts, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT
• Strategy and business plan development • Ad, promotion and other agency management
• Consumer positioning and strategy • Communication, advertising, PR, etc
• MRD, consumer insights, business analytics • Business development, acquisitions and divestitures
• Plant associate to board level presentation skills • Foodservice marketing
• Multi unit retail marketing • Promotion, consumer and trade
• Category management • Consulting, fortune 500 & small business
• B2B marketing and sales • New product innovation, development & commercialization